A lot of diets these days think bread is the source of all evil and leave it out completely. The problem with that is that you can't stay away from bread forever, and once you begin eating it again, you gain back the weight you lost and then some. Healthier breads is the best option. This way you get your fill without too many of the empty calories. Flatbread is a healthier bread option and can be substituted for sandwiches, pizza and even tacos. See below for a handful of healthy recipes you can make using flatbread.
- Whole wheat flatbread
- Tomato sauce
- Sliced deli ham (3 slices)
- Pineapple (2 slices)
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- Italian seasoning
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread tomato sauce onto the piece of flatbread, then sprinkle some Italian seasoning on the tomato sauce (to taste).
- Dice the ham and the pineapple as small or big as you like, then add it to the top of the tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese to the top and bake it for 5 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted.
- 1/2 lb. extra lean ground sirloin
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 can fat free refried beans
- 1/4 cup green chilies, diced
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese (reduced fat)
- 1/2 cup tomato salsa
- 4 pieces of whole wheat flatbread
- Taco seasoning (use reduced sodium only and use only 1/2 of the package mixed with 1/4 cup of water)
- Diced black olives
- Diced jalapenos
- Reduced fat sour cream
- Greek yogurt (plain)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown the ground sirloin in a skillet, and add the onions, green chilies and jalapenos (if desired). Drain the oil from the mixture when the meat is cooked thoroughly.
- Add the taco seasoning and water according to the directions above, stirring until the water is nearly gone.
- Next, lightly spray a cooking sheet with cooking spray. Lay the flatbreads onto the sheet.
- Add a small amount of refried beans to the flatbreads, then top with the meat, oil and pepper mixture and finally a small amount of cheese.
- Cook for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Top with your favorite toppings and serve.
Chicken And Red Pepper Hummus Sandwich
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper hummus
- 5 whole wheat flatbreads
- 2 cups grilled chicken, chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- Spread the roasted red pepper hummus (about 1 - 2 Tbsp.) onto each flatbread.
- Add chicken to each flatbread spreading out evenly.
- Layer the red pepper, green pepper and cucumber slices to each flatbread.
- Top with feta cheese.
- Fold the flatbread in half and serve.
These flatbread recipes are all healthy and tasty too. Enjoy! Click here for more information or advice.